Thursday, June 6, 2013

Kinky Curly Chicken & Beer

By now you all know that I don't put anything in my hair that I can not eat. But there comes a point in time where one must draw the line, and for me that line was drawn when a friend asked if I put Crisco in my hair.

My grandma's shortening?? No thank you.

I have spent months lurking in forums and reading up on using Crisco as a moisturizer, shampoo, deep conditioner, and etc. but I can not and will not bring myself to slather the white artery clogger on Sheeba. 

I don't want to smell like chicken (I'm being crass. I know the only way I would smell like a 2 piece and a biscuit is if I put used Crisco in my hair) and more importantly, I fear the havoc that would ensue on my skin. I would look like a pubescent 14 year old. Thinking of using the product might even cause a pimple.

No ma'am. No ham. No turkey. 

Now one secret weapon in my arsenal of 'natural' hair products is beer. Yes, you read that correctly. I rinse my hair with beer from time to time. 

This all began years ago after a house party. I throw large game nights in the summer and often have guests bring adult beverages. There's always tons of bottles left over, and being a wine/ brown liquor aficionado, I needed to find something to do with the cases of beer left under my dining room table. 

A few hours of research later, I was standing in the shower giving Sheeba a beer bath. She loves it and may be an alchy. My hair has become super soft as a result of beer rinses.

Beer is made from fermented hops and yeast. Which creates a host of benefits for dry hair. Beer has B vitamins like biotin that promote growth, protein, sugars to strengthen and boost shine, and if wheat based, volumizing properties. The list was enough to make me pop open a bottle and pour away. 

You're probably giving me the grandma side eye and wondering why I'd pour beer in my hair over Crisco. The same reason you use Miss Jessie's versus Carols Daughter... I prefer to. 

I have also read articles speaking to the benefits of beer on your skin. So next time you happen to have a few brews left around the house, or discover an old case in the back of your outside fridge, take a sip and give your hair a beer bath. 

No comments:

Post a Comment