Monday, October 21, 2013

Winterizing

It's getting cold. Time to winterize my hair. For those of you who live in more tropical environments, be glad that you can use the same products regardless of the season and have the same results.

Up north, where cold weather takes your life and hair hostage, you have to rotate your products. 

Realtors live by location, and naturalists live by rotation ... corny? Yeah I know, but it made me laugh nonetheless. 

Go ahead and hide your humectants, light oils and butters. It's time to break out the heavier moisturizers and butters. 

Cold weather, while great for wearing a press, can be drying and harsh on your strands. Being that the air is dry, your hair is susceptible to the same condition. 

One thing I notice during winter months is how much dandruff I develop. It's cold outside (0 humidity) and keeping my heat at 80 (I like it hot) makes the air in my house dry as well. So to combat dry scalp and dry ends here are a few adjustments I make to my routine:

1. Hair Grease- I feel like I just cursed. But before you nail me to the wall for this tidbit, let me explain. I 'grease' my scalp weekly and post wash with a pomade that I threw together of mango butter and  moisturizing oils.

Speaking of things I 'throw together,' I recently did something scary. I made a test batch of my infused hair growth castor oil and am sending it out to friends and colleagues for market research. I'm interested in finding out what makes Sheeba grow like she does and then sharing it with the world. I know sooooo many women who have approached me over the years, inquiring about my regimen, growth aids used, etc. So in a few months, I'll know if its the oil, my herbal tea (batch coming soon email sosheeba@gmail.com if you'd like to part of my test group), or mummy's good genes making Sheeba grow so long.

2. Hot oil treatments - help keep your scalp moisturized. An added boost would be to steam your hair weekly to penetrate the hair shaft. 

3. Shun the wash and go or frequent washing completely - this may sound counter intuitive, but wet hair= sick and I don't have time for pneumonia. Honestly since I love hiding my hair, I notice that Sheeba grows more when left to her own devices. 

4. Be careful of winter hats - I have big hair, so berets and such never work for me, but fuzzy ear warmers do the trick. The downside to wearing these cute creations is the havoc they wreak on my edges. If you are going to wear wool or acrylic hats/ accessories, be sure to line them with a satin scarf/ bonnet, or else you can kiss your edges goodbye.

Hopefully this winter will be mild and not produce any (snow) flakes.

Happy growing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment