Friday, January 24, 2014

Training Day

I'm obsessed with drinking water. I try to drink about half my weight in ounces a day. But this past week I went on a brownie and Dr. Pepper binge, and ended up with a blemish (or 2). So, today I treated my self to a facial from an aesthetician who caters to one of the most widely seen faces in America... the world even.

She's gifted.

I know I have said that I like to share my black book of service providers, but I'm feeling a bit greedy and want to hold onto this gem for a few more sessions and then release her details.

This post isn't about my obsession with drinking water or amazing facial, it's actually about a comment someone made while I was en route to the spa.

Inquisitive Female: How do you train your hair?
Me: I don't.
IF: Oh, your hair looks so manageable, not nappy like mine.

... if you know me, you already know where this is heading.

Me: *blank stare / shady smile * Natural hair isn't nappy, and can be managed with patience and the proper know how. *puts on headphones* 

I'm probably the only natural person who has not, does not, or will not 'train' my hair. I've said this many times before and firmly believe it: Sheeba has trained me.

You hair grows out of your scalp in a particular wave/curl pattern, there is little that can be done (that's healthy) to change that. Sure you can heat damage, texturize, text-lax, or relax to achieve a desired curl pattern, but then you'd have to re-touch your new growth every so often to maintain it.

Now if you have absolutely no curl pattern, there are plenty of ways to style your mane to achieve a particular look, no training required.

I went natural.... to be natural. 100% me, no chemicals, additives, or preservatives. Instead of training your hair, why not train yourself to love the hair you have? 

No comments:

Post a Comment