Sunday, June 22, 2014

Summertime Fly

Summer is in full swing in the DMV, and this weekend I rotated my products.

If you haven't done the same, and think that the products you've used all winter are okay to use this summer...think again.

Each season brings new weather and new challenges. When I lived in Miami - where the weather changes from hot to hotter - there was no need to swamp out my conditioner and moisturizer, but now that I live in a city with all four seasons, I make it a habit to keep Sheeba happy regardless of the temp outside.

If you live in an area with a variety of seasons I recommend rotating your products as you would your wardrobe. You wouldn't be caught dead in a NorthFace jacket in June, so why slather your hair with the same conditioner and leave-in? rotate, Rotate, ROTATE!! The only practice I keep constant regardless of the season is deep conditioning.

Now that it's warmer I like to focus on sealing my hair properly. Nothing upsets me more than leaving the house with a bomb twist-out and arriving to the office looking like a fuzzy peach.  Using a gel with great hold like Eco Styler (the green top) or Aloe Vera when twisting your hair keeps frizz at bay.

I have never mastered the wash and go, but if you have - now is the time to wear you hair in such a style. Warmer climates are great for wash and go's, so fight the urge to hide your hair in a protective style and unleash your tendrils. You don't have to worry about catching pneumonia, and (as you work out more) it's an easy style to recreate during the week.

Because I finger detangle my hair, I am a fan of V05 Moisture Milks Conditioners, I use about half a bottle every week when I wash Sheeba. I recommend switching to a low price conditioner during the summer since you may wash your hair more, and 2 bottles a month of pricey conditioner can eat up your budget.

Also, if you haven't discovered the gloriousness of rose water and glycerin, what are you waiting for?? I add this mixture to my hair after washing, and before sealing with a light oil (like Sweet Almond). If you like BIG hair, glycerin will be your best friend. As a humectant, it works to draw moisture from the atmosphere into your strands. Use when rocking a puff or wash and go, but never a twist out... I learned the hard way. It works to keep your hair moisturized, and a moisturized Sheeba is a happy Sheeba.

So in rotating your products for the summer you should:
- Opt for wearing your hair out over protective styles;
- Exchange butters and oils for rose water, glycerin, and gel, and ;
- Choose less expensive conditioners


 Happy growing friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment