Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Henna pt. deux

Yesterday I posted part one of my henna process. Today's post shall outline the application phase.

By now your henna should be mixed, and have released some dye. You'll notice pools of red liquid forming on the top layer and your henna should be a darker shade at this point. Before applying it to your hair, add 2 tbsps of honey and mix.

You will also need to cover your application area. I need a mirror, so I use my bathroom. Since I've done this a few times before, all I did to prep the area was lay an old towel on the floor. If your sink and counter top are white or light, you'll want to cover those with newspaper as well. Better safe than sorry cause henna does not wash completely out of grout, tile, or carpet.

After prepping your area, you'll need to prep your hair. I finger detangle and then section Sheeba into 5-6 parts using clips to hold each section into place. I then apply vaseline to the perimeter of my hair, ears, and neck. I even apply into the inside of my ear and all of my neck. As you can see, the henna gets smudged everywhere, and the vaseline protects my skin from being stained.


Now to apply. I separate each large section into about 3-4 smaller pieces a I apply the henna. The trick to this step is to scoop a small amount with your hand as you 'smush' it through your hair. It's easier to control smaller portions of the mixture than a handful which will inevitably end up on the floor or down your shirt. I begin in the back and work my way forward.







Once all the sections are complete, I take the remaining henna and apply it to my ends and then 'massage' the rest into the top layer of hair.







Secure you hair on the top of your hair with pins and cover with a plastic bag or shower cap. I then cover my head with a turbie-twist, or a towel you don't mind getting dirty. I like to let my henna sit for 6-8 hours.

There are two methods you can use to wash your hair:
  1. The Dunk Method: fill your tub, sink, or bucket with warm water, and 'dunk' your head; or
  2. The Rinse Method: place head under running water (either sink or shower) and rinse the mixture out.
Either method takes time, I spent about 45 minutes in the shower just rinsing my hair until the water dripping from my ends were a light red. At this point I added some V05 Chamomile Tea conditioner to my mane and squeezed it out.  You'll want to use a moisturizing conditioner and NOT a protein one. (Tresseme Naturals, and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose also work for this step).

Continue to apply and squeeze out conditioner until it is clear and your hair is henna free. Detangle if needed, finger combing my hair prior to applying the henna helped, so I only had to use my Jilbere comb once and did not need to use my Denman.

Seal and style as usual once done. If you have long hair, plan to be in the shower for 1.5-2 hours... It takes a while to get the henna out of Sheeba, I tell no lie.

As you can see, my hair has a subtle reddish tint to it, and a bit more curl definition than before. Sheeba is ridiculously soft and moisturized now, which was my primary objective when I embarked on this henna journey. Because winter can be harsh on my hair, I tend to henna in the cooler months, when the air is drier, just to keep my situation soft and growing.

I'd love to hear your henna exploits, and if you haven't tried a henna treatment...what are you waiting for?? Your hair will thank you.

Happy Growing!

1 comment:

  1. Sheeeesh it just sounds so complex!!!! Where do you get the actual henna powder/mix from?

    ReplyDelete