Saturday, November 30, 2013

Winter Break

Meet Olivia , my brazilian body wave layered bob and closure.

She's my lover for the winter.

My original plan was to use some old Brazilian hair I had to make a wig for these cold winter months, but when my sister and I decided to head to South Florida for Thanksgiving, I made an appointment with my stylist extraordinaire  Christina  at Studiotress to have her lay some hands on this head.

And as usual, she delivered.

If you've been a faithful reader, Christina also laid Sheeba out back in March when I had my Brazilian Kinky-Curly install. This girl is talented, so I wanted to use this post as a two-for-one: share my new do' and highlight a small business since today is Small Business Saturday.

As a working/professional natural, I cannot stress how much I appreciate good service. Especially as my hair grows. I've previously recounted several occasions when I've walked out of appointments or had a few choice words with hair dressers who have complained about the length and thickness of my hair. Christina's one of a handful of my stylists who love my hair, in fact, each appointment some how turns into a professional development session for both client and service provider.

This time was no different. I initially requested a short Mimi G - type coif, but when she began blowing out Sheeba for my coif, there was some discussion as to how we would achieve a flat foundation braid pattern for such a short do. I then stumbled upon a picture of Rashida Jones' natural bang, and my vision changed. I told her that I wanted an angled bob a la First Lady with some Rashida bangs, that could also be worn as a variation of Olivia Pope's do' from Scandal (Season 1). I love when my stylist gets my quirky visions. I also love sharing good service, I'm not one to hold onto a gem and not share with others because I don't want others knowing my secret. I prefer to tell the world because I discovered many of my stylists via word of mouth, so I like to pay it forward whenever possible.


Sorry for the blurriness :/
So it's time to pay it forward, below you'll find a list of my favorite stylists. I share this information freely with many of my friends quiet often, and if you've been a faithful follower (subscribe to the right), we are basically family anyways, so I don't mind sharing who keeps Sheeba looking good when I don't have the strength or time to do so myself. 

I get my hair done mainly in DC, but travel to Miami for my sew-ins.

DC -
Miami
  • Sew-ins - Christina @ Salontress
  • Braids - Marie*
  • Kinky Twists - Nadia*
* My braiders usually work from home, so if interested inbox me for their contact information.

I love supporting small businesses, especially since many of the products that I (previously) used were created by small local vendors who had a genuine interest in providing quality products for natural consumers. If you have a favorite product or stylist feel free to share, I'll be posting small business features monthly in an effort to share some of Sheeba's faves.

If you're a small business interested in being interviewed for a future post, please email me at sosheeba@gmail.com.

Happy growing.



No comments:

Post a Comment