Friday, February 28, 2014

Investing 101

Top: 2013 install; Bottom: 2014 u-part wig
One of my first 'blog' posts was a video review of Desir Hair's Brazilian Kinky Curly.

I wanted BoBraz...badly. So after doing some YouTube and Facebook stalking, and asking Eugenie (their sales rep) a million and one questions, I purchased a closure and 2 bundles. They just so happened to be on sale so, I actually lucked out on my first 'investment.'

Since then I've steadily built my weave portfolio and have an arsenal of u-part wigs affectionately called the 'Seasonal Collection,' Brazilian Curly in the Spring, Afro Kinky in the Summer, and Brazilian Straight in the Winter. 

The main purpose of this post is to guide you in making such 'investments.' As you know, I enjoy hiding my hair. For one, I don't have to do anything to it for 4-6 weeks at a time, and such rest allows Sheeba to flourish- inches at a time.

I'm currently on the hunt for a 'Fall' install, so here are 10 steps I consider when adding to the portfolio ...
1. What type of style am I interested in achieving?
2. What type of hair does this require? (Curly, Afro Kinky, Straight)

Once a few vendors are identified:
3. Is the hair pure cuticle or processed? Though pure cuticle is considered the upper echelon of weave, in my experience some processed hair has held up for years if no heat is applied.

4. Are closures available? I don't like any leave-out, and never like taking the chance of purchasing hair and not having Sheeba or another closure match in color and texture. 

5. Are samples available? Ask for a sample. Wash it, play with it, apply heat to it and see if it 'snaps' back. I once requested samples of Malaysian hair because I was in love with  the big soft curls. And after washing and air drying I noticed some dye release (see below) and the curls I loved never came back... Needless to say, I moved onto another vendor. 

After selecting the type of hair and a vendor:
6. Are there any YouTube reviews on the hair and customer service? I'm BIG on customer service, and will spread the word when it's above par, but if the service is questionable, I prefer to take my money elsewhere. 

7. Does your particular vendor have sales? I love a good deal, and will wait for a sale. Everyone has a price point. Mine is around $100/ bundle. Some vendors will adjust their price for multiple bundles and a closure, so ask. 

So after navigating the research phase, I purchase, and wait expectantly to play with my latest addition. 

It doesn't end there though, my bundles last because I prep them to ensure their longevity. 

Once you've received you're bundles of draping human hair luciousness:
8. Wash, condition, and air dry the hair. If you notice dye release ( the water changing color) you hair has been processed. This isn't all bad, but be prepared to condition frquently and not to apply too much heat since the hair may tangle easily (birds nest at the nape of your neck) or the wave or curl pattern may change ( I'm just speaking from experience). 

9. If you purchased a closure, you'll want to bleach your knots. I'm horrible at this and have butchered quite a few closures. Thank goodness for concealer and foundation tricks that work wonders to produce a realistic scalp. 

10. Seal your wefts. I cannot stress this last step enough. Sealing BOTH sides of your weft will eliminate virtually all shedding and extend the life of your bundle. I use Fray Check or Aleene's fabric glue to seal mine and only lose a few strands whenever I comb/ style my units. 

After sealing you're ready to install or make a u-part. The next few posts shall highlight a few of my favorite YouTube tutorials on sealing, bleaching knots, and u-parting that have helped in creating many of the units I currently have. 

Happy investing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment