Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Roses Are Best

I find it befitting that on the eve of one of the most romantical (yes that is a word in MY dictionary) holidays of the year, that I share with you a tidbit from my “Drape” arsenal.

Rose Hip See Oil.

My love affair with rose hips began a few years ago, when I began researching herbs and Ayurvedic blends to grow and retain my length. I originally did not purchase the oil, but rather, included the actual dried rose hip in a herbal tea constitution that I would drink daily.

The more I drank, the more Sheeba grew and looked vibrant. So I purchased a few bottles of the oils for each of the herbs in my blend…rose hip seed being one of them.

By now you know that I love mixing my own hair products. Cleansers, moisturizers, deep conditioners, serums, & etc., you name it, I have a recipe for it, but I never paid attention to the rose hips until I was researching ingredients for a pomade to calm my itchy (super dry) scalp, and discovered the wonders of the oil in my Herbal Dictionary.

Rose hips and rose hip seed oil originate from the Andes and is actually the fruit of the wild rose plant. High in Vitamin C & A, essential fatty acids, and antioxidants, this part of the plant is commonly used for skin conditions because of its ability to aid in the regeneration of damaged skin cells. In our sociaety, it's mainly used in cosmetics for wrinkles, skin scars, etc. Being that I suffer from dermatitis (dandruff), I decided to use the oil for a trial period of 6-8 weeks and determine whether or not it was a keeper.

3 years later…

It’s my miracle oil. I apply it straight out of the bottle and massage it onto my scalp every now and then. If you have ever used rose water to moisturize your hair, the effects are similar, softer hair that remains moisturized long after the product has been applied. I also love how it’s not heavy; Sheeba (despite being low porosity) absorbs the rose hip seed oil relatively quickly, so that there isn’t a layer of oil resting on my strands as with other products in my arsenal.

I also continue to drink my herbal tea constitution comprised of rose hips and other herbs known to improve hair growth, and can honestly say that I have not had a cold, the flu, or any other ailment since 2011. Having immune boosting properties is another reason why this herb has risen to the top of my list of must have products.

Whether you are into complementary medicine or not, I highly recommend adding rose hips, or rose hip seed oil to your rotation (after seeking medical advice from an ACTUAL doctor), your hair (and health) will thank you.

I hope this week is filled with love in every way possible, and that you get roses (both the flower and the oil).


Happy Growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment