Monday, May 13, 2013

Have you seen my edges?

I have to admit that I am still 'learning' my hair. When I first began this journey everyone told me that I could 'tame' my hair with certain products and styles. But in the end, Sheeba ended up taming me.

Having long natural hair is like meditating or having a new born (stay with me I'm going somewhere with this). There are times where I sit in silence and let my hair tell me what it wants, whether it's rest, moisture, clarifying, or freedom, being natural - like being a parent or meditation guru - requires the ability to listen and take heed.

I say all this because I'd like to share a secret...

I am scared of my hair.

The longer Sheeba grows, the more I worry about caring for her. So to cope with my fear, I hide my hair.

For the first year of her life I would religiously rock my hair out, but then Sheeba began to grow and get rowdy. Dry and split ends were her way of telling me that my puffs and blow-outs were not working out. So after some research I discovered protective styling.

I would wear my Janet Jackson (not so) Poetic Justice braids or kinky twists for 3-4 months at a time. Thinking that giving my hair such an extended rest was helping reverse the dry, split ends. In the end I did more harm than good. I wore styles that created a lot of tension on the perimeter of my hair. I did not wash my hair regularly, nor did I trim my hair in between styles.

That whole first year of 'growth' was negated by my use of protective styling. How ironic.

After growing back my edges and cutting off my damaged ends, I became well versed in hiding my hair the proper way,which has resulted in Sheeba's growth and retention.

Here are a few gems pertaining to protective styling that I've gleaned along the way:




Enjoy -QS

No comments:

Post a Comment