Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Will You Cut my Hair?

My path to 'nappturality' may have been the shortest ever. My last relaxer was in August of 2008 before moving out-of-state for grad school. Now, like many of my relaxed friends, I usually went in for a touch up every 6 to 8 weeks. Having moved to a new city - where Dominican salons and blow-outs were nonexistent - I made a few inquiries among my classmates and found a decent salon.

So I called to make an appointment, asked how much a relaxer and deep condition would cost and was informed that my services would cost me $125. Amazed, I declined, hung up, and decided to go natural. 


I transitioned for about 5 months, not because I wanted to, but because no one would cut my relaxed hair for me.


Random barber laughed at my request, and then told me that he did not want to be responsible for my meltdown post BC.


My sorority sister dyed my hair and then declined cutting it.


Finally, while on vacation in London, another sorority sister obliged and set me free from salon and relaxer bondage.


Sheeba (what I affectionately call my hair) was born on March 13, 2009 and measured a whopping 1 inch.


In the past 4 years I have developed a love/hate relationship with my natural hair, and have done everything possible to it. But despite my (sometimes) poor treatment, she continues to grow, so in her 4th year of life I've decided to share her with the world.


Over the next year I plan to share my routine, favorite 'products', and all things natural. Like Sheeba, I hope my posts (whether good or bad) keep you coming back.


Peace,

Queen Sheeba

1 comment:

  1. Love the blog hun! I went natural myself. Its been 1 yr 3 months since I had a relaxer and 4 months ago I finally cut the perm. It is a process but lately I've been getting rope twist in.

    ReplyDelete