Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Drill

Over the past few years, I have developed a product junkie habit. I have closets, drawers, and cabinets filled with  oils, treatments, conditioners, and shampoos. You name it, I have (tried) it.

It wasn't until a recent move that I realized my 'problem' and decided to do something about it. I no longer use commercial hair care products. For the past year my motto has been if I can not eat it*, I will not use it in my hair. *Not everything I use is edible, BUT it is in it's natural state (i.e. black castor oil, shea butter, and etc.)


I'm sure you have tons of questions, many people do when I reveal my secret. So here's the drill...


Like many nubian nappturals, I section my hair into 4-8 twists to make detangling bearable. My upper arm strength has greatly increased as a result of washing and detangling Sheeba...she's a beast but I won't let that stop me from taking care of her.


I pre-poo my hair with oil. Whatever I happen to have on hand is what I use. Recently it's been coconut oil, but most often, I use olive or almond oil.


To wash, I hop in the shower and grab either diluted baking soda or my coconut milk and castile soap mix. Now here is where I get 'told' that castile soap is not edible. You are correct. BUT the castile soap I used is derived from olive oil, and therefore allowable in my book. You can try it out and discover it's gloriousness here.


If I use my coco-castile mixture, I do not condition. Sheeba always feels moisturized and nourished afterwards. If I have build-up and decide to use diluted baking soda instead, I may whip up an avocado hair mask or honey concoction, and break out my BeHuetiful steamer and sit for a few minutes.


After rinsing, I may or may not use an ACV rinse. I love/ hate Apple Cider Vinegar. It works wonders for my dry scalp, but dislike the 'squeak' effect it has on my hair.


*sigh* I'm almost done... promise


I plop my hair when done and, use the L-O-C method to moisturize my hair post washing.

L - liquid, always water
O - oil of my choice (olive, castor, almond, jojoba, etc.)
C - cream, I love Shea butter but also use mango and illipe butters as well

After I complete moisturizing, I usually style with two-strand twists and pin it up into a bun, or pull it up into a pineapple and do something cute with the ends to protect them.


Did I mention that it take 3-4 hours to do my hair? Or that I wash her on a weekly basis? Oh... (that's another post).

Next up is protective styling, and how I learned the hard way about it's importance.

-QS

No comments:

Post a Comment